Search This Blog

Friday, April 16, 2010

Nexus One is rock solid

The following was my long comment to Droid vs. iPhone 3GS: An Update article on Technologizer site.

Interesting! I never had Verizon Droid, but I used my beloved ADP1 (HTC Dream, G1) + Cyanogen mod on AT&T EDGE for one and half year and finally switched to Nexus One on AT&T 3G.
Yes, ADP1 was slow and clearly lacked memory and CPU power, but I still loved it and it became better and better with new apps and Cyanogen updates. It was necessary to kill some apps periodically and to reboot phone periodically, when it became to freeze or to behave irrationally.

Since I bought Nexus One I never had a real need in killing apps. It almost never becomes slow or strange due to too many apps running. In rare occasions, I prefer to reboot the phone, as Steven suggested above. Overall, everything is really stable and solid. Because of that, I didn't want to experiment with installing Cyanogen for Nexus One so far.
Yes, there are few quirks in this phone too (show me the electronic device which doesn't have bugs, please.) For example, after taking Nexus One out of a dock it sometimes starts to respond strange. But turning screen off with a top button and then back on and unlocking the screen fixes it immediately. So, it's quite minor bug, which hopefully they fix soon.

Otherwise - rock solid. I never had iPhone, so I cannot compare, but to me, Android's interface of Nexus One is absolutely sleek and intuitive.

2 comments:

  1. If I may ask, how long have you had your ATT N1? I'm considering getting one, but I'm hesitating due to not being able to play with it first and some of the hardware issues I've been reading about. If you had the choice again, would you buy the N1 again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It became available about a month ago and I immediately bought it. And yes, I would buy it again, if nothing even better available at that time. I had a previous post about relative blurriness of Nexus One's screen, so I'm not trying to cover up N1's deficiencies. There are some - as for any phone. But overall I think it's an excellent phone. One of my friends is on Verizon network and is expecting to get Droid Incredible in a week. It will be interesting to compare these phones. But due to family circumstances I'm not in a position of switching to a much better Verizon's network.

    ReplyDelete